I tried this recipe last week and promised a few people I would post it on the blog because it was so tasty! Apologies it’s taken a bit longer than expected I have had a super busy and exciting week securing a new job and welcoming my little baby cousin to the world – so not your average boring week!
This recipe is vegan/vegetarian and is made up of delicious sweet potatoes and beans in a chili sauce which you can make however hot (or not) in my case as you like. It isn’t a recipe you can just knock up in 5 minutes (more like 45) but it does make quite a lot so there are plenty of leftovers to freeze, and whip out another day when you don’t have time.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- Some fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 fresh chili, chopped (you can leave this out if spicy isn’t for you)
- 1 400g tin of cannellini beans
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- Turn the oven on to approx 180’c
- Place the chopped potato on a tray, drizzle with oil and cook for around 30 minutes until they are cooked all the way through
- Grab a large saucepan and heat around a tablespoon of olive oil in it. Then, add the onions, chili, pepper and spices.
- Cook until softened, around 10-15mins. Make sure to keep stirring.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the beans – no need to rinse they can go straight in with all their liquid. Turn down heat and simmer for 20-30mins.
- Mix in the sweet potatoes from the oven and the fresh coriander.
You can eat this served over a small portion of rice (it is quite filling) or with some freshly made guacamole, I had mine with some boiled green beans. Perfect. I also had this for lunch the next day by itself with some cheese sprinkled over it (not vegan), it was a great refuel after a sweaty gym session.
This recipe is really good to play around with, you can mix up the spices, use different peppers, try different beans, whatever takes your fancy.
Try it out and let me know what you think 🙂
Love, Dans x
For more blog posts similar to this you can subscribe below: